28 August, 2010

International Day of Peace preparations!

The United Nations' International Day of Peace is right around the corner, and this week our class will begin preparing in earnest!  These past few weeks, we have been learning about what the word "peace" means.  We have learned that it means sharing, cooperating, loving, and helping.  We have been working on making our classroom a peaceful place, where we can all get along.  I am delighted to report that so far, pretty much all is well!









I have found some excellent books about Peace, at our local library.  Our class has really enjoyed What Does Peace Feel Like?  This book is interviews with children, asking what they think peace feels, tastes, and smells like.  It is charming, and offers a great perspective!  This week we are going to read Can You Say Peace? by Karen Katz.  This book shows children from all around the world, saying "Peace," in their native languages.

On this note, I want to (and I hope I have figured out how to, correctly) share a freebie file!  Whooo
hoo!    I have created a file of "peace cards."  They are cards with lovely watercolor backgrounds (I hope they feel a bit Waldorf-ish as I was very inspired by Waldorf alphabet cards) which are printed with the word peace, in a variety of different languages.  I have printed out a set for my class, laminated them, and set them out in a basket.  Next to the first basket, I have yet another basket, but this one has blank cards.  The children may choose a card, and copy the printing.  After that, they may decorate it.  I am hoping we will have a wide variety of homemade peace cards to put up in the hall of our school, very soon!  As a side note, I may also find it necessary to have plain white cards, with the peace words printed on them in dotted form.  If you find you would like a PDF of the cards, with just the words in a dotted font, please leave me a note in the comment box.  Thanks! : )

Okay, so here goes.  Hopefully, you will find my peace cards right HERE!  Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. And they look so peaceful! Thanks Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea and am wondering if you might do a guest post at sensationalhomeschooling.com with your peace pdf link included, as I think the cards would be useful for home and traditional educators not only for the idea of peace, but for visual discrimination, handwriting, etc. If you are interested, please let me know. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are SOOOOOO BEAUTIFUL! Thank you so much for sharing them. I home school my 2 boys with Montessori. I look forward to reading more.
    Kerry
    earthfriendlymama@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Martiannne, I would be delighted to do a guest post! I am so new to blogging, I barely know what I am doing, so I hope that is okay. I don't even know how to post a picture of my file. (I have seen others do it with a picture of the first page, so I'm working on also doing that.) Please let me know what you would like me to do. : ) Oh, and as a side note I grew up in Needham MA. I love (and miss terribly) your state!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so beautiful - I've linked to this post here http://mummyzilla.blogspot.co.nz/2012/06/peace-basket.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are amazing. I'm printing them out so I may present them to my class today. I would be honored to have the document with the words in dotted letters. My e-mail address is 3-5@luria-academy.org.
    Thank you!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, I am off to school in a couple of minutes, but if you can wait I will send them this afternoon. If I forget (and I promise I will try not to, but sometimes life gets away from me) please feel free to email me and remind me! Thanks!

      Delete
  7. Beaultiful work! I would like a PDF of the cards, with just the words in a dotted font, please. My email: luciana.dta@hotmail.com
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. They are always much appreciated. : )