01 September, 2010

Feelin' Waldorf-y

So I have been feeling a bit Waldorf-y, lately and I've been perusing one of my favorite books!




Yup, here it is . . . Beyond the Rainbow Bridge!  It is an amazing book for parents and teachers alike!

I am also a HUGE fan of Waldorf toys!  I use natural materials in my classroom and my home, whenever possible, and I try to encourage my children and my students to do plenty of imaginative play!


Some of my children's creations


I also adore Waldorf dolls!  Not only are they beautiful, but they are also so soft and smell like the wool with which they are stuffed.  Lovely!  My grandparents brought one for me from Germany, when I was a child, and I remember it so fondly!  Her name was Heidi.  So now it is nearly my youngest daughter's birthday, and I am working on getting her a Milly Molly Mandy (one of her favorite books) Waldorf doll.  Here is the doll that I love and adore!   It is handmade by a surely lovely woman in rural Wales,  Laura.  Please check out her work on Etsy, on "Buttercup and Bird!"   It is wonderful! You may click on the caption below to visit her store.

I found this on Etsy!  Adorable!

I would love to order this doll, and then make a Milly Molly Mandy dress (pink and white striped) for her.  We'll see what I can come up with!  : )  Oh, you don't know Milly Molly Mandy?  Please run (do not pass go, do not collect $200) to your local library, and check out The Milly Molly Mandy Storybook by Joyce Lankester Brisley.  My daughter's favorite chapter is the one about MMM's pet hedgehog!


This is a color version of MMM, but it shows her dress very well!  : )


My latest (completed) Waldorf-inspired creation is a series of alphabet cards.  Every teacher at our school is required to have the alphabet on display, and I confess to not being a fan of premade teacher supply store alphabets.  I therefore spent some time this summer creating this set of cards.  I have a lowercase set and an uppercase set, in a cursive or a printed font.  I also have a set (in the printed font) that has both the lower and upper case letter on the same card.




Example!  : )






I printed a set of these cards, and hung them on the wall of my the classroom.  I would like to lower them and hang them in a location for my students to use, perhaps later in the year.  For now, however, they look lovely and I have had so many compliments on them!  : )




I put these sets of cards on box.net.  Please feel free to download and use them, in your home or school classrooms.  I found all the lovely watercolor background images online, free!  Thank you to all the many artists who freely share their work!  If you do share these cards with friends or on your own blog, please link back to me, so they can come and visit my blog too.  I am pretty new at this blogging thing, but more followers means more encouragement for me - to teach and learn more - and blog about it more too!  : )

Printed font, lowercase letters are found here!
Printed font, uppercase letters are found here!
Cursive, lowercase letters are found here!
Cursive, uppercase letters are found here!


And here's one more semi-Waldorf inspired file download.  They actually look more like they were inspired by vintage wallpaper.  Well, however I was inspired, feel free to use these number cards.  : )










  




















2 comments:

  1. LOL! Looks like I am stalking you - do not, I swear! :)

    I've downloaded all of the files, they are so beautiful! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOOW, they are wonderful! Will be linking!
    Maria
    www.forskoleburken.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. They are always much appreciated. : )