26 December, 2010

Tiptoes Lightly

"Tiptoes Lightly" by Reg Down


Hello readers!  I hope you have all had a lovely holiday break.  Now that our family's celebration of Christmas is over, it is time for me to get back to work!  I have been busily preparing some activities about Antarctica which I will post about early next week, but until then, I wanted to share something else with you.  I would like to show you my favorite gift of Christmas, Tiptoes Lightly.

Who is Tiptoes Lightly, you ask?  






Well, she is a little fairy who lives inside some lovely books written by Reg Down.  My youngest daughter and I have been reading about her in The Tales of Tiptoes Lightly.  We have both enjoyed the stories so much, I thought it would be wonderful for my daughter to have a way to act them out, using little Tiptoes characters dolls and a dollhouse. 




I began work on this project about a month ago.  Using my new needle felting skills (which are still a bit rough, but improving) I made a Tiptoes Lightly felt doll.  She looked alright, but after a week or so had gone by, I decided to give making her another try.  This time I was very happy with the results.  Here are a couple of pictures of her, from the front . . .


and the back.


For a little extra fun, I painted a wooden dowel and attached a piece of jute twine with a loop, to the end of it.  Then I sewed a medium sized pink button to the back of Tiptoes' wings.  Now my little girl can button Tiptoes to the twine and make her fly about or unbutton her, and carry her around or snuggle up with her in bed.

 

Next I got to work creating Tiptoes' acorn house.  I started with a medium sized oval shaped cardboard box with a lid.  I painted it with acrylic paints, using 3 different colors of brown and black.  I used a utility knife to cut out a small arched shaped door and a window.  I needle felted a front door with a sunny yellow flower overhanging it, and some pink curtains for the window.


Then I got to work on the inside of the house.  I painted it a warm pink, keeping in line with Waldorf Kindergarten room colors and to match the colors on the front of the Tiptoes book.  With Reg Down's kind permission, I also printed miniature copies of some of his lovely watercolor paintings of the Tiptoes characters.  I thought Tiptoes would enjoy having some pictures of herself and her friends in her house!  Here is a peek into the house, through the front door,


and with the lid off the box, you can see all the way into Tiptoes' home.  Aren't the paintings wonderful?


I also made a couple of pieces of furniture.  These include a morning glory blossom bed and a morning glory leaf blanket.  There is a sweet ink drawing in The Tales of Tiptoes Lightly, of Tiptoes stretched out on a morning glory.  She looks so comfortable that I thought surely she would like a morning glory blossom bed!  The bed also serves as a boat and the leaf blanket, a sail.




And last, but not least I made one of Tiptoes' friends, a gnome named Pepper Pot.  A few more characters are still in the works, but Pepper Pot is the only one I finished for this holiday.  
If you would like to know more about Tiptoes Lightly, see photos of other fans' creations, or learn where to get a copies of books about Tiptoes Lightly, please visit the Tiptoes Lightly web page, here.

So, thanks for visiting and checking out my favorite gift of Christmas, and I hope you'll come back soon to see all our class activities about Antarctica!











6 comments:

  1. So sweet. love what you have made. Tiptoes Lightly is one lucky little fairy to have such a pretty acorn home. How cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you C! I am a bit obsessed with needle felting as you can see, but as long as my children enjoy it, I have an excellent excuse to keep doing it, right? : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how lovely! You have done a marvelous job of bringing Tiptoes to OUR world! so beautiful. My girls ( 10 & 8 ) just love everything you have done!!! Good job!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen, this is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE Pepper Pot!

    ...World...would you believe she started felting this late summer?! The woman is a felting genius!

    You inspire me with all you do and I love reading your blog.

    I can't wait for February!!!

    Honey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable .. I so wish I could create like this!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. They are always much appreciated. : )