26 February, 2011

Saturday Adventures with Power Tools



After a few hours of working with the scroll saw and the rotary power tool today, I have learned . . .











  • Poplar works better than pine for making little wooden animals.  It cuts a little more slowly and doesn't jump out of my hand as easily as pine does. It also splinters less as I'm sanding it.
  • If I turn the saw a little bit before I think I need to, the cut is closer to line and cleaner
  • Online directions for old power tools make me happy.



  • Dogs like wooden animals just as well as they like sticks.  Both are so much fun to chew!  (Can you see our dog investigating the animals here, just as I was taking the picture of them?  Funny!)



  • Sometimes that project that turns out a little wonky and not quite as I planned, turns out to be my favorite one of all.  I can't wait to see how this little gnome looks after he has been wood burned and painted.
  • Adults make a mess when they have fun, just as children do.  Mess = fun!
I hope you had a messy and fun Saturday too!


      4 comments:

      1. These are wonderful! Great job.

        ReplyDelete
      2. Can't wait to see them when you paint them! They look so good even like this

        ReplyDelete
      3. I would love to be able to do that. I have never ever tried to work with wood. Where do you get your design ? How do you proceed before cutting? What tools do I need if I was to start myself? What advice and instructions can you give to a beginner? Thanks

        ReplyDelete
      4. Hi Aude! How's County Wexford? Two of my best friends and I are headed your way in June. We are going on a walking tour of Dingle and we are so excited! : )

        I am very very new to woodworking so I cannot offer much expert advice, but I will be happy to share what I learn as I go along. I just figured out that watercolors can come off the wood! I painted the figures and then coated them with beeswax polish. After letting it dry I went to buff it and the colors all came off on my rag! I have no idea what to do, and I am so disappointed. Weep, weep.

        ReplyDelete

      Thank you for your comments. They are always much appreciated. : )