08 June, 2011

Blogs are Fabulous!

How fabulous are blogs?!

Last summer, at the urging of a friend, I started this blog.  My plan was to use it to document my work in my PreKindergarten classroom and my work at home with my own children.  I have done that, but my blog has been useful for so much more!

Case in point:  For a few months now I have been exchanging comments with a teacher/blogger in County Wexford, Ireland.  (Here is her blog, Montessori Preschool.  Check it out!)  We seem to share similar teaching philosophies, and it is wonderful to get support and great ideas from each other.  So when I was pondering and planning my upcoming vacation in Ireland, I thought how great it would be to meet her.  Unfortunately, County Wexford is pretty far out of our way (as we are headed to the Southwestern coast), but I thought of another way I could connect with her, continent box materials!

Now if you have read my blog from the beginning, you know that I participated in a continent swap at this time last year.  (You can read all about it if you like.  Start here, and scroll down for the rest of the posts.)  It was fabulous, and I not only have new learning materials as a result, but also some great new friends.  I thought I could help out my new friend in Ireland by gathering some items from my city and country, and putting them in the Irish mail upon my arrival.  She could not have been nicer when I asked her if she could use some American items for her North American continent box.  She said that would be lovely, and asked if I would like anything from her native country in return.  She even additionally offered to show me around her village and her classroom!  How lovely, generous, and generally marvelous!  Thank you Aude, for all those kind offers.  Even though I cannot take her up on any of them, the fact that she would offer is so encouraging and wonderful.

Here's a picture of a few of the things I have collected.  
Aude, if you want your box to be a surprise, don't look!  : )


What's in this little package:

  • a pop up book, America the Beautiful
  • an American flag
  • an American dollar, quarters from 3 or 4 states, dimes, nickels, and pennies
  • some tiny pretend bills (one dollar bills, fives, tens, twenties, and a fifty)
  • glittery American flag stickers
  • a few (unfortunately very few) stamps
  • red, white, and blue beads
  • an American flag bandana (can you tell our country is gearing up for July 4th?)  : )
  • a North American animals "toob"
  • a handmade wooden deer, red squirrel, and a black bear
  • a CD with some of my students favorite songs
  • a suction cup thingy (what are these called?) for Practical Life works, a rubber duck  (My state is apparently the highest producer of rubber ducks in the world!  Who knew?)  Okay, I heard this from my mother, but I am unable to verify it.  Anyway, there's a duck for practical life.
  • more brochures and travel magazines than you can shake a stick at

Our blogs and our love of children and teaching children connected us, even across an ocean!  As I said, fabulous!  How has reading and/or writing a blog connected you to others?  Let me know!  I'll read your comments - after I get back from Ireland!  : )


1 comment:

  1. Just beautiful!

    www.littlemisskindergarten.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. They are always much appreciated. : )