24 October, 2011

Autumn Onomatopoeia

Our class has been enjoying this poem, October by Elsa Beskow.  You can find it in her collection, Around the Year.


Golden, you are,
October.


Golden soverigns on your trees.
Golden guineas on your floor,
golden coins of leaves
that fall
for us to scuffle through
and rustle
and rattle
and hustle
and scrabble
and dabble
and paddle
as they fall
into an October carpet
which hides
our shoes.

The children seemed interested in the words that I pointed out in the poem that seem to make the sound they represent, words that are onomatopoeic.  (I highlighted those words so you could easily see which I meant.)  We discussed what onomatopoeia meant, and then went on our own Autumn Onomatopoeia walk, to see if we heard any sounds we could describe with such words.

Here is the book our class made, based on our walk.  Enjoy!  





 


The End


If you take a Fall walk, what onomatopoeic words will you "hear?"






2 comments:

  1. I have to copy your idea. This is brilliant. I live that type of projects and so do the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Aude!

    Hmm, I wonder what the words will be in Ireland - near the ocean? I am guessing whoosh and swish for the wind, plonk for the big rocks you can throw into the water, and pitter patter for the rain? Let me know how it turns out, will you?

    : )

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. They are always much appreciated. : )