22 November, 2011

Reclaiming and Recycling: Wood from our School's Forest

Our school playground backs up to a large wooded area which leads down to a creek.  Isn't that fabulous?  (We are working on plans to de-poison ivy as much of the area as we can so that we can spend much more time out there. The planning is very exciting, and I hope to blog about it more extensively soon.)






In the meantime however, I have spent some time after school tramping around the woods. On one of those tramps I found a gem, hidden amongst the wet and soggy leaves.  I wish I had photographed it "before," but I didn't - so you'll just have to accept my written description.  It was a piece of an old tree that was hollow in the middle.  I was particularly intrigued by the holes in the sides.  They seemed to me to be perfect "windows."  So I picked up the piece of wood, and brought it home.


Inside the reclaimed wood piece

I washed it out thoroughly in the bathtub, removing lots of dead leaves, dirt, rotted wood bits, and ants -  oh so many ants!  Then I dried it out in a low temperature oven (with the oven door slightly open so I could check on it often) for about thirty minutes.  Later on in the day, I began working on the wood with my dremel tool.  I sanded and sanded and sanded . . . and sanded.  Then I sanded more the next day, removing loose bark, bits of left over rotted wood, and bits of embedded dirt.  I then sanded it by hand for a long time!  It was hard work, but it was so rewarding so see such a gorgeous piece of wood emerge from that work!  I polished the wood with my handmade wood polish, added a moss colored needle felted roof, and voila!


Don't you just love the windows?

I'm writing a story about a little tree sprite who lives in the hollow of an old oak tree, and this seemed to be just the home for her.  What do you think?


I wonder what other treasures are hiding in the woods behind our school?  














11 comments:

  1. Cool, a real find. cheers Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is absolutely gorgeous. Could you share your recipe for homemade wood polish?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful, just wonderful! I would love to have your skills. I feel like writing a story about this branch.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing, Karen! And - amazing Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this is incredible! I have shared this on our Facebook page so other teachers can see.

    Our program (LEAF- Wisconsin's K-12 Forestry Education Program: https://uwsp.edu/cnr/leaf ) is working on a school grounds web site to help schools and teachers get their outdoor classrooms set up and usable.

    Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, everyone! And Dan, I will definitely check out your web site. I need all the help I can get! : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice Idea of using reclaimed and recycled hardwood. A sustainable choice to add unique and authentic wood materials to furnitures, floors, counters, cabinets, everything and I love the idea of using reclaimed woods.
    Check out those resources http://agedwoods.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this! Thanks so much for the info about how you did it. I can't wait to track down my own. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful tree; you did an amazing job! This would make the perfect birthday present for our little girl. We will definitely be going on a tree hunt this weekend! I hope we are as lucky as you were :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful. Good idea to use the drummer first.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful. Good idea to use the dremmel first.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. They are always much appreciated. : )