23 November, 2011

Wood Polish!

Dear Readers,

As requested, here is the recipe I used for my handmade wood polish.

I found THIS wonderful and truly easy peasy recipe online.  It is so clear and the pictures made it look so easy, I knew that even I could do it!





I tweaked the recipe a bit.  Jojoba oil was nearly $11 for 1/2 cup, and grape seed oil and apricot oil were $5 for 1/2 cup.  Amber says (in her tutorial) that jojoba oil is good for longer than other oils, but since I had so many items to polish, I figured I shouldn't have any problems using it up before any of the oils became rancid.  So I used . . .

1/2 cup grape seed oil
1/2 cup apricot oil
1 cup of beeswax (broken into small pieces)
about 8 drops of lavender oil (this makes the polish smell heavenly)

Amber also mentions in her tutorial that she stirred the polish a few times over the course over an hour or two when it was cooling, but I found I needed to stir it often over the course of about 1/2 hour or 45 minutes.  So when you try this recipe on your own, I recommend not leaving it unattended.  You wouldn't want all your hard work to go to waste!  : )

Now, what wonderful things can you find to polish, your classroom blocks, your doll cradle, your library bookcase?

Or maybe you can take a trip out to the woods and find some fabulous hidden treasure - as I did!


Happy Polishing!



2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much.....our neighbour cut down an old Maple tree last week and has given us some large flat pieces to play with.....they are going to look so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very welcome! : ) Will you please post pictures of your maple pieces when you're finished? I would love to see them!

    I am headed down to the river near our house today to look for some interesting pieces of driftwood! More fun with wood! : )

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. They are always much appreciated. : )