06 January, 2012

Learning to Knit: A Knitting Rhyme



I learned to knit with my oldest daughter, when she was in Kindergarten.  Her teacher was offering a class after school, to children who were ready to learn.  Her readiness criteria was, "If you can tie your shoes, you can knit!"


I sat in with the Kindergarteners once a week, for about 6 weeks, knitting and re-knitting.  Learning with children was the perfect way for me to learn.  My daughter's teacher, Sarah, broke the process into clear steps and made it as simple as possible.  And she taught us a wonderful rhyme that made the knit stitch as easy to remember as "Little Miss Muffet."





Under the fence
Grab the sheep
Back under the fence
And off we leap!



My youngest daughter recently learned to tie her shoes so yesterday we embarked upon the "learning to knit" journey.  I taught her the rhyme, and we worked together for about half an hour.  It was a lovely bonding time, and a great first lesson! 


And we even got in some sweet puppy snuggling whilst we knit.  : )


If you are learning to knit, consider using this rhyme!  It worked for Kindergarteners and for me, and it will work for you too.  Good luck!





1 comment:

  1. Under the fence grab the sheep, back under the fence and off we leap! Under the fence grab the sheep, back under the fence and off we leap! Under the fence... I will memorize this! Under the fence...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. They are always much appreciated. : )